Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2012

let's go!

I had a dream a long time ago to go on a road trip across US. I am currently reading Spark your Dream and it made me want to expand the dream and go on a road trip across South America.

Told the friend you gave the book to me, he said he's not fond of road trips. Well, I can't please everybody but for me road trips are cool and a nice way to travel. Maybe because growing up we often traveled by road and I had many pleasant memories.


  • Manila - Samar ( about 17 hours travel with RoRo)
My cousins and I were seated at the back and played games like 'who would be the 1st one to throw up?' when we pass by a certain place that has a lot of sloping curves. The "winner's prize" is endless teasing for the duration of the trip. I remember passing through Bicol region before crossing to Samar,  we stopped to admire the spectacular view of Mayon Volcano. 


  • Baguio (6 hours)
My aunt together with her barkada decided to go to Baguio and brought along their respective nieces/nephews. The whole road trip was so fun, we were about 5-6 kids playing inside the bus. My aunt would also play pranks on us, she would also take stolen shots of those who slept early. 

  • Tagaytay (2 hours)
Tagaytay, one of my favorite place for a quick getaway. I have so many fond memories of our road trip to Tagaytay. Right after work, we head straight to Tagaytay.  Oftentimes we would use Reggie's van and just drive there right after the 9pm flight just to have coffee and steaming bulalo and talk as if we've never seen each other for a long time. Going home is also a fun part coz we have to drop off everyone in their respective houses. First stop is AnnKat's house in Sta Rosa, Laguna; then Cheng's house somewhere in Laguna too;  Jr and Butch's house in Antipolo; last stop will be at my place and Will's in Pasay!  A road trip within a road trip, oh what fun!

If Reggie's not around, Jr's the man! Since its a smaller group, we would exchange ghost stories especially when we pass by unlit roads to liven up the trip. Going home, we would roll down the windows and sing our hearts out on any song in played on the radio. One time, it was a spice girls medley and everyone was so enthused to sing along with matching choreography.

  • Tuguegarao (12 hours)
Tadz and Taby would squeeze me in between their seats. They would cover me up with a blanket saying that if the bus conductor sees me I have to pay for my own fare. Back then, I thought they were serious. Wahaha! But later on, I realized they just want me to sit still during the whole trip. I must say, I had fun playing hide and seek with the bus conductor, I thought I'm invisible. Gullible much!

  • Ilocos ( 12hrs)   with Vina, Bogart and the Maligsons
    Read about my Ilocos Road Trip here


Not all road trips are fun and pleasant experience. There were also some unpleasant things that happened along the way like our bus got pulled over by the military police for a routine check. It was scary I tell you, seeing my dad or grandpa or uncle lining up while military men are frisking them. Then there's landslides. On our way to Tuguegarao,  a part of the road was blocked due to landslide. Buses and even small vehicle can't pass through. We have to walk through the muddy puddle to get to the other side of road where another bus was waiting for us.


What I like about road trips are the experiences I'd encounter and will encounter that will teach me on almost everything. I get to meet people from different walks of life and it makes the journey colorful. So, what are you waiting for?! Pack your bags, Pick a place and Go on a road trip! Have fun, take it all in and be amazed with what you'll gonna learn. Let's go!


Life is a journey and what we learn on the journey serves us our whole life.-Herman Zapp, Spark Your Dream

No comments: