Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 4: Vibrant Ho Chi Minh - Happy eyes

We spent our last day in HCMC at the park. Our flight doesn't leave til 5pm so we have plenty of time to spare.


loved our shirts!
From the hotel, we walked towards Ben Thamh Market. Almost every local we met greets us 'good morning!' They seem happy and amused to see us, maybe because us 3 are wearing same shirts with Vietnamese flag as the design.


peek-a-boo


At the park while, as we were talking and enjoying our lazy time, a man approached us and offered to clean Joshua's shoes for a minimal fee. At first we said that we didn't want to. He insisted and said, he just want to earn money, he seemed friendly and keeps trying to make conversation with us. So Joshua gave in and let him clean his shoes. A kababayan who's been living in HCMC for years now, knows the guy and calls him Bakla. He said that Bakla is hardworking and a good lad. Bakla is from the capital; Hanoi, moved to HCMC to earn a living. He said he's still single but plans to marry in the future when he has enough savings. We can see his perseverance. Poverty is not a hindrance, it serves as a challenge to strive harder and eventually, overcome it. Even with our brief encounter, Bakla  managed to touch us, we can see from his eyes that he is happy. He may think that he is poor, but I know he is rich not with worldly possessions but with something more valuable. He also sells coconuts, businessman through and through. wahaha!

cleaning Josh's shoes

josh: my shoes are dirty noh?
bakla: (nods) ya! ya!
josh: are my feet mabaho? bad odor?!
bakla: ya! ya!



By 2pm, we're at the airport. What's the best way to do in the airport?! People watch! :) Met these adorable brothers. We gave them chips (nova) and they loved it, and kept coming back for more. Soon they were posing for the camera and smiling. And another kid came and played with us. We had a grand time, the flight was delayed but the children kept us entertained. Sometimes, I envy children, they're so carefree and happy as if nothing else is mattered.



i know you want this! wahaha!

taking the bait. :)



mr. pogi and mr. rockstar



rock on!

 baby james (lookalike)

young dreamers

Time to say, goodbye, Vietnam!I have mixed emotions in my travel to Vietnam. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my stay but it breaks my heart knowing in 10 years time or less, Vietnam will be more advanced and progressive than us, if we continue with our slacking ways. I just wish that Philippines will move forward and not get stuck in our current condition. 

This is want I love from travelling. Travel, to others its a luxury but I think of it as an investment. I am not rich but I make it a point save (money)  in order for me to visit places once a year, to  breakaway from stress. The more I travel, the more I get to broaden my knowledge, appreciate others and learn more about life. At the same time, it helps me understand and love my country more than ever.


time to say, goodbye Vietnam!

 
As my sister aptly says it, Traveling for me (and for my sister too) is not just about leisure, sight- seeing or shopping... It is much more. For in it, my eyes are being open to different perspectives and it never fails to widen my horizon. It exposes me to how the world looks at a much grander scale and it even takes me farther as it urges me to dig deep within and connect to my roots. As I travel and learn about new countries and cultures I learn more about the Philippines and how to be a Filipino. When i go places, my heart always burns and it yells inside, I'm proud to be Pinoy!=) ~Jaichey

No comments: